Admiralty Bay Station G — History
Location of Station G — Admiralty Bay
Position: (1985) Lat. 62° 05′ S, Long. 58° 25′ W
General location: Martel Inlet, Keller Peninsula, King George Island, South Shetland Islands
Geology, meteorology and glaciology.
- 18 Jan 1947 – 23 Mar 1947
- Jan 1948 – 19 Jan 1961.
The first two buildings, a small wooden hut and a Nissen hut, were erected in Jan 1947. A second wooden hut was established on 14 Feb 1948 but removed in 1950 and re-erected at Signy Island (Station H). A third hut named Sparrow House after the ship HMS Sparrow in which it was transported, was established about 300 yards south of the second hut on 28 Jan 1949. A further hut was erected on 6 Jan 1956.
- E Platt, 10 Nov 1948: grave.
- R G Napier, 24 Mar 1956: memorial cross.
- A Sharman, 23 Apr 1959: grave.
- D R Bell, 26 Jul 1959: memorial.
Demolished and removed by members of the Brazilian Antarctic Expedition at Comandante Ferraz Station, Jul 1995 – Feb 1996. Only concrete foundations remain.