Port Lockroy Station A — History
Location of Station A — Port Lockroy
Position: Lat. 64° 49′ S, Long. 63° 30′ W
General location: Goudier Island, Wiencke Island, Palmer Archipelago
Initially survey, geology, meteorology and botany. Mainly ionospheric research from 1950 onwards
- 11 February 1944 – 8 April 1947
- 23 January 1948 – 14 February 1949
- 24 January 1950 – 11 February 1951
- 15 December 1951 – 16 January 1962
- Austral summers since Jan 1996
The ionospheric work was transferred to Argentine Islands (Station F) when Station A closed
The main hut was named Bransfield House after the ship initially chartered to transport members of Operation Tabarin from the UK, and itself named after Edward Bransfield, Master, Royal Navy, the first person to chart an area of the Antarctic mainland (1819–1820).
Designated as Historic Site No 61 under the Antarctic Treaty, 19 May 1995. Restored 14 January 1996 – 18 March 1996. Since November 1996 the station has been run as an Historic Site and is open to tourists and visitors during austral summer seasons.
The UK Antarctic Heritage Trust (UKAHT) has been instrumental in the repair and conservation of Port Lockroy as a Historic Site and Monument under the Antarctic Treaty.