The Directorate and Board
Responsibility for the leadership and management of British Antarctic Survey (BAS), including the direction, balance and detail of its science programme, and the allocation of resources and logistics support, lies with the Director advised by the senior management who comprise the BAS Board.
The BAS Board consists of the Director; Board Members for Science Delivery, Corporate Services and Operations & Engineering; BAS Heads of HR and Communications; and two independent Non-Executive Board Members. The Board meets monthly and is responsible for the overall leadership, direction and management of the Survey to achieve its mission.
Full list of BAS Board members:
- Professor Jane Francis, Director - Chair
- Mrs Julie Leland, Director’s PA - Recorder
- Mr Mike Pinnock, Board Member, Science Delivery
- Dr John Shears, Board Member, Operations & Engineering
- Mr Peter Ganczakowski, Head of Human Resources, BAS
- Mrs Linda Capper, Head of Communications, BAS
- Ms Anne Miller, Non-Executive Board Member
- Dr Rita Gardner, Non-Executive Board Member
The main functions of the Board are to:
- Support and contribute to the overall NERC strategy.
- Develop, maintain and communicate strategic plans to sustain the long-term viability and effectiveness of the Survey.
- Pursue and promote best practice to maximise scientific impact and productivity.
- Foster and develop a skilled and adaptable workforce.
- Develop and maintain the infrastructure, facilities, collaboration and capabilities needed to deliver the BAS mission.
- Ensure the proper management of BAS and its finances, in a manner that is open, provides value for money and which conforms to propriety and relevant legislation.
- Ensure that BAS operates in a safe & healthy manner, and with the minimum practicable negative environmental impact.
- Encourage and facilitate appropriate business links for the commercial exploitation of BAS research and technical innovation.
- Ensure that BAS communicates its work to the wider scientific community, decision-makers and the general public.