The Science Board advises the BAS Board on science strategy and investments, and setting of priorities.
The Science Board consists of the Director; the Board Member for Science Delivery and the six Polar Science for Planet Earth (PSPE) Science Leaders. The Board meetings are coordinated with the BAS Board meetings which are held monthly.
Full list of Science Board members
- Professor Jane Francis, Director - Chair
- Mrs Alison Teague, Science Support Office - Secretary
- Dr Alistair Crame, PSPE Science Leader
- Dr John King, PSPE Science Leader
- Professor Michael Meredith, PSPE Science Leader
- Professor Eugene Murphy, PSPE Science Leader
- Professor David Vaughan, PSPE Science Leader
- Dr Robert Mulvaney, PSPE Science Leader
- Mr Mike Pinnock, BAS Board Member, Science Delivery
The main functions of the Science Board are to:
- advise the BAS Board on science strategy and investments, and setting of priorities;
- develop and update a science strategy that keeps BAS at the forefront of polar science, meets the current NERC science strategy and can deliver BAS’s Vision;
- identify opportunities e.g. involvement with major initiatives;
- vire finances between programmes providing done within the overall budget.