Our site is using cookies to record anonymous visitor statistics and enhance your user experience. OK |  Find out more

Skip navigation

Research Funding

See Also

BAS is not responsible for the content of external sites.

How to obtain research funding

Antarctic science research funding and access to BAS infrastructure are available to both UK researchers and students. Investing in the next generation of Antarctic scientists is a vital part of achieving BAS’s science programme and vision.

Researchers and students can access Antarctic infrastructure using the following mechanisms:

Funding for researchers

UK researchers outside BAS can apply for funds to support Antarctic research and fieldwork using the NERC Responsive Mode opportunities (standard grants, small grants, new investigator awards, NERC Fellowships). Researchers must first submit a preliminary request for Antarctic logistic support, no later than three months before the submission deadline of the respective funding call.

Where funding for salaries, grants or direct science costs is not required, the Collaborative Gearing Scheme (CGS) can be used to provide “no cost” access to BAS Antarctic facilities and support, if the proposed research does not require logistics above and beyond those already provided as part of the BAS field programme. CGS proposals must also be complementary to the BAS science programme and have the support of the appopriate Science Leader at BAS.

Note: Scientists obtaining funding for Antarctic research via funding mechanisms other than NERC Responsive Mode opportunities are not guaranteed access to BAS infrastructure and will need to negotiate with BAS separately.

Further details about funding and logistic support are available on the Antarctic Proposals and Fieldwork Planning (APFP) website.

Funding for students

BAS is not a degree awarding body, but collaborates with higher education institutes in the UK and abroad to support students undertaking postgraduate research in Antarctic science.

BAS currently has around 50 postgraduate researchers. They are funded by a variety of mechanisms, including Natural Environment Research Council (NERC) studentships; other Research Council studentships; and NERC Responsive Mode opportunities.

Studentships are advertised on BAS vacancies page and University websites.

For more information, contact the BAS Student Registrar.